Overview of the Position:
The Finance Assistant will support the Accountant and Finance and Operations Director in day-to-day finance and accounting functions. Responsible for day-to-day general accounting, recording transactions, managing accounts receivable/payable, assuring all backup documentation is audit-ready, and troubleshooting accounting issues. The individual is also responsible for the overall financial well-being of the project. This position reports to the Accountant.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision and guidance of the Accountant, the individual will work within a team of approximately 28 professionals to perform a variety of tasks related to finance and accounting function, which may include but are not limited to the following:
General Accounting/Financial Management
- Coordinate and collect information for wire requests for field project implementation.
- Receives and reviews (for completeness and accuracy) all incoming invoices and requests for payment.
- Ensures the integrity of all receipts, invoices, and vouchers.
- Verifies accuracy of expenses and project accounting codes.
- Assist Accountant in combining the required back up documents from the TAMIS system.
- Ensures request for payments have appropriate approvals.
- Responsible for recording and assigning costs based on approved budget in field accounting system (vFER).
- Prepare back up documentation for all project-related transactions and ensure completeness and appropriate review and approvals are documented.
- Assist with the reconciliation of petty cash transactions monthly.
- Maintains file management systems for soft documentation.
- Assist in other ad hoc finance related project activities assigned by supervisor.
- Assist in internal and external audit processes in preparation and responses.
- Assist in daily reviews of backup documentation to ensure completeness, accuracy, and full compliance with all regulations and the Field Operations Manual (FOM).
- Ensures adequate backup documentation is uploaded to relevant system according to set deadlines.
Policies & Procedures
- Ensures that accounting policies and practices are carried out in accordance with GAAP standards, project internal controls are established and implemented in accordance with DAI policies, USAID rules/regulations and the terms of the contract.
Travel Advances & Reimbursements
- Assist Accountant in monitoring travel requests and expense reports for accuracy and compliance as needed.
- Assist in collecting and verifying timesheets and leave records.
- Preparation and distribution of the monthly pay slips and obtain acknowledgement signatures from all staff for finance records.
- Uses field accounting system (vFER), cloud software for backup documentation, DAI’s project management system (TAMIS), etc. regularly.
- Ensures that voucher files are uploaded to DAI’s System for the Electronic Archival of Financial Documentation – SharePoint.
Other finance-related tasks to be discussed and agreed on with the supervisor.
Level of Effort, Location, and Reporting
The level of effort is 260 days per year. The employment contract will be on a yearly basis, with possible extensions until the close of the project. The position will report to the Accountant. The position is based in Yangon.
- A. Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent.
- 3+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting.
- Accuracy in working with large amounts of data.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Experience with enterprise accounting software, and Microsoft office suite.
- Demonstrated knowledge of internal controls and audit processes (e.g. procurement, local subcontract agreements, etc.).
- Intermediate in English.
- An articulate individual who possesses excellent communications and personnel management skills and who can relate to people at all levels of an organization.
- An energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
- An extremely well-organized and self-directed individual with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong operational focus.
DAI Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner.
DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. DAI does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, veteran status, or other non-merit factor.
Applicants should submit their CV via the link below and are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of applications that we receive and the urgency to fill positions, only shortlisted applicants will receive notifications on the next steps.
Please apply here: https://fs23.formsite.com/OLJTgx/8epvhfbxmr/index
Benefits are provided as per organisation standards.
- Internal Audit
Other similar jobs that might interest you