Head of MEALSave The Children
To lead and provide overall strategic direction to Save the Children Myanmar on the establishment and strengthening of MEAL systems and capacities, supporting evidence-based learning and initiatives to improve programme quality.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Director – Programme Development and Quality
Staff directly reporting to this post: Senior MEAL Advisor, MEAL Manager - MIS
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
MEAL Strategy and Systems
• Lead on the development and roll-out of an organisational MEAL strategy and approaches across Save the Children Myanmar’s humanitarian and longer-term development programming, in line with Save the Children Myanmar’s Country Strategic Plan and Save the Children International MEAL requirements;
• Ensure that the Country Office (CO) MEAL framework is in place and well communicated to, and appropriated by, all programme staff;
• Lead on the roll-out of MEAL MIS system and provide technical support to project leads to ensure that the new MEAL MIS system is applied in all projects;
• Ensure systems for tracking action plans derived from quality benchmark monitoring and feedback response mechanisms are in place and well-functioning;
• Ensure appropriate and responsive community feedback mechanisms in line with the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS). Provide strong accountability analysis for Programme Managers and Senior Management to inform decision-making.
• Set up a central MEAL work plan and budget, ensuring that the latter is resourced through donor funding;
• Support proposal development processes by providing inputs to the narrative and budget, the development of appropriate (SMART) indicators, inclusion of global, donor and CO MEAL requirements and costing for MEAL activities;
• As a key member of the PDQ Team, build strong relationships with technical and programmatic colleagues and provide support as required to ensure the MEAL framework and reporting data flows are well understood and supported across all programmes;
MEAL Capacity Development
• Oversee the recruitment of Save the Children MEAL staff and where appropriate support partners to adequately resource their MEAL positions;
• Manage the MEAL team to ensure that data management systems operate effectively and receive the support and resources required, and that there are clear links and reporting lines between field teams and Yangon;
• Ensure effective communications, sharing and teamwork within the central MEAL team as well as between central MEAL and project-based MEAL staff;
• Manage the performance of direct reports in the MEAL unit through effective performance management, coaching, mentoring, training and development;
• At the organisational level, devise and manage a MEAL training programme with the goal of increasing capacity and awareness of MEAL and analytical skills for all staff;
Institutionalized Learning and Accountability
• Lead the setting up of systems and tools that facilitate continuous learning, ensuring that programme data and evidence are systematically compiled and shared internally, forming an effective foundation for thematic and cross-thematic learning, programme adjustments, programme design and strategy development;
• Communicate key lessons and evidence to the Senior Management Team (SMT), ensure that management is able to make informed decisions on a timely basis;
• Ensure accurate and reliable data is available for SCI Country Annual Reporting, programme key performance indicators (PKPIs) and other SCI requirements;
• Support the analysis and interpretation of and information enabling programme teams to produce robust internal and external reports.
• Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures;
• Actively participate in and contribute to regional MEAL working groups, meetings and other initiatives;
• Act as CO contact person for MEAL, and represent Myanmar CO MEAL unit to the broader SCI organisation.
Child Safeguarding Responsibilities
• Ensure that child safeguarding and child protection mainstreaming are integrated into all M&E frameworks through measurable output and outcome indicators; and lead the process of piloting and scaling up local level beneficiary complaints’ mechanisms in relation to staff conduct, with an emphasis on the Child Safeguarding Policy and measure to prevent sexual exploitation of women and children.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Master’s degree in a relevant subject;
• Strong analytical skills;
• 7 – 8 years Significant experience in a senior MEAL-related role in development and humanitarian contexts;
• Significant experience in an international NGO or other international organization;
• Demonstrated strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including planning/participating in evaluations;
• Experience of, and commitment to working through systems of routine monitoring, community participation and accountability;
• Previous experience of managing a team, and proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff;
• Excellent communication skills, including a high standard of written and spoken English and Myanmar;
• The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult, fast-moving and sometimes insecure working circumstances;
• Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children.